Re: Farzaan's Wastegate (was: Why Smaller Pulley?)

To: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Farzaan's Wastegate (was: Why Smaller Pulley?)
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:10:06 -0400

> DG wrote:

>> I told him that
>>while it was by the letter of the rules "legal" it was obviously an

> It's obvioulsy *not* legal, as I pointed out in a recent and
> previous email, at least in Street Prepared.

> The relevant rule states both "no modifications to the wastegate" -- > this is
obviously a modification to the wastegate

No, it's not - the Stock wastegate would be left intact and untouched.

> and this is equally a modification to the boost controls.

No, it's not - the Stock boost controls would be intact and untouched.

Look at it this way
                            |Stock Cntls|  |"New" Cntls|
                 ---------       |              |
----------------|Turbo    |==|Stock W/G|==|"New" W/G|=== Atmosphere
Exhaust manifold|         |
----------------|         |----------------------------- Atmosphere
                |_________|---------Tailpipe------------

- The Stock wastegate is left alone
- The Stock boost controls are left alone
- The "new" wastegate and their associated controls are part
of the "exhaust system" and are thus open - and legal

Yeah, it's a weasel-featured attempt to end-run the intent of the rules, and
it's obviously playing stupid semantic games and I wouldn't
expect to get it through Impound more than once, but the way I read the rules
it's technically legal.

Note however that _I_ won't be doing this, that I have stopped at least one
person's "attempt" (though it was probably just idle talk in the first place) to
do this, and if it showed up in Impound I'd be amongst the protestors! **I DON"T
ADVOCATE THIS THING, OK?**

(Incidently, I don't think Farzaan ever intended it as anything other than a
thought experiment either. No turbo guy is stupid enough to think they could get
away with this for long.)

But even if I DID think it was A Good Thing and do this to my car, it is NOT a
way to make "infinite boost"! Even weasels cannot break the laws of physics.
Every turbocharger ever made or that will ever be made is fundimentally limited
in the amount of air it can flow, and thus how much power can be made - and OEM
street-car turbos have low flow limits as a general rule.

DG