Re: meditation

To: RacerRay52@aol.com
Subject: Re: meditation
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:21:26 -0400
RacerRay52@aol.com wrote:
> I confess, I enjoy the little battles that break out about tires.
> That's about as far as it goes though. Just some net fun.

Ray, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself.  I just wish you'd also make
some effort to hear what people are saying.

> The people who are in a position to change rules don't wish to do so.

Those people are YOU.  It's not "them", it's "us".  Speak in the first
person.  It's our club.

> They sense no groundswell of demand for change from the peasants.
> There is none.

That's apparently because the "peasants" (that's us) are not sending
letters with reasonable, workable proposals.  Those who are saying
things are, for the most part, saying things on Team.Net rather than
sending letters, and they are simply complaining rather than offering
truly workable alternative rules.

> So whether durometers are consistent or not, whether a z rating means
> anything or whether treadwear ratings mean something or mean nothing
> doesn't matter. Not now.

Of course it does.

> If the time were ripe for a tire rule change the specific way it would
> be defined and enforced would follow.

When you say "it would be defined", you should say, "we would define
it".

> You could gather a bunch of tire engineers together now and pick their
> brains as to what works and doesn't work and from that write a
> coherent rule--but you'd be wasting your time.

Not "you".  "we".

> Autocross was at one time a place for the amateur to enjoy some
> relatively low pressure and low cost competitive fun with
> whatever car he happened to have. Now the rules seem aimed more toward
> those who purchase cars with autocrossing first in mind, no place for
> the guy who admits he is an amateur and a tightwad.

The rules are written with the national competitor in mind because they
have to be -- those are the folks who take the rules seriously.  Those
who are not so serious can play a little faster and looser, and regions
are *encouraged* to overlook small infractions.  When was the last time
you saw a protest at a regional event?

Regional autocrossing is still a place for the amateur to enjoy some
relatively low pressure and low cost competitive fun with whatever car
he happened to have.  IMHO, of course.

> Someone say something. I need typing practice.

I'd suggest starting by rewriting your post in the first person, and
then see if you still completely agree with it.

Mark