Re: meditation

Subject: Re: meditation
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:16:45 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 RacerRay52@aol.com wrote:
> Autocross was at one time a place for the amateur
> to enjoy some relatively low pressure and low cost competitive fun with
> whatever car he happened to have. Now the rules seem aimed more toward those
> who purchase cars with autocrossing first in mind, no place for the guy who
> admits he is an amateur and a tightwad.

Ah horsepuckey.  You could say "no place for the guy who admits he is an
amateur and a tightwad to trophy" maybe (and only maybe.  There are plenty
of regional events where you can drive less than perfect and not have the
'right' car and still win your class).

If you want to have fun and not mortgage your life to smoosh cones, then
do that.  You'll have just as much, and probably more, fun as the folks
that concentrate on picking the 'right' car, put new tires on it for every
event, etc.  But don't expect to beat those folks if you're equivilently
skilled.  That's just the nature of competition and you can't make it go
away, at least not completely, with rules.

I think most of the angst is from _competitive_ tightwads.  If you're one
of those (and I definately am) then you pick your class and car to
minimize your expense without sacrificing competitiveness and spend the
money it takes to be competitive in that class.  DS and BS are great for
that. So are the roadrace machinery mod classes like CM and FM.

My newbie HO,

Mark