Re: Best Rain autox/street tire?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best Rain autox/street tire?
From: Randy Walters <RandyWal@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 23:34:50 -0700
Mark J. Andy  <marka@telerama.com> wrote:

>I'm in need of street tires for the neon and would like to get some summer
>only tires that will be suitable for heavy rain use in autox.  I care
>about stuff in the following order:
>
>1st) Good rain tire for autox
>2nd) At least 10k miles of street wear (with race alignment)
>3rd) Street performance
>
>Again, this is on a neon with stock wheels, so anything that isn't sold in
>14" sizes doesn't help.  Stock tire size is 185/65-14, can go up to 205 in
>width.  Want to keep speedo at least close.
>I've only seen one tire that seems to meet the bill:
>
>Yokohama AVS Intermediate.  205/60-14 ($72)

 I'd say a 195/55-14 would be a better choice than a 205/60-14.

>Are there any others?  I saw an RE-71 195/55-14, but that seems
>narrower and would definately negatively affect the speedo...

 All the following sizes would affect your speedometer,  but the 195
would affect it less.  Here's some calculated outside diameters:

 185/65-14  =   475.85 mm
 195/55-14  =   570.10 mm
 205/55-14  =   581.10 mm
 205/60-14  =   601.60 mm

 I've used the 205/55-14 Yoko AVS Intermediate, the 195/55-14 RE71,
and the 195/55-14 Dunlop SP8000 (all on various 14x6 wheels) as my
street tires for both my cars and the Dunlop is superior to the others on
my various So Calif Test Loops (familiar canyons, mountains, & offramps)
They're grippier, quieter,  and they don't follow the rain-grooves in our
So Calif freeway pavement like the others do.

They work very well in the rain and they're very inexpensive at about
$70 from the Tire Rack.  They're the best non-R rated 14" street tire
i've ever used.  They're also very popular with the Miata crowd :-)

 Randy Walters
 85 Golf GTi D-Street Prepared
 86 Jetta GLi E-Stock/Street
 Southern California