Same Old Tire Cost Hash? Nah.....

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Same Old Tire Cost Hash? Nah.....
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:46:44 -0700
So this is old stuff, huh? I suggest that it is not.

Times have changed, it is many months and even years since this was last
"hashed" and "re-hashed". Since that last time, much is different. Was nothing
learned?

BFG is exploring new ground, and hopefully seeking a competitive tire that
will meet the needs of competitors. Kumho has done some major catching up, and
in many cases and classes is the equal of BFG. It also offers significant wear
advantages. Hoosier is very competitive for some. Toyos are a relative unknown
to Solo 2, reported to "suck for a very long time", yet many find highly
competitive especially in road racing. Yokohama seems to be a good tire that
(as far as I've heard) is a little slower than the rest listed
above......maybe.

I would expect that things are learned with every new wave of tire technology,
that the past means something, and that there will be improvement. To me (and
probably a few others) improvement means a tire that performs well and will
give reasonable (i.e. affordable) wear and life.

To some cost is no object, and they will have as many tires as they need. This
will always be true, no matter what tires are available. To many more, cost
along with a reasonable competitive life IS a significant issue. $11 per run
is a scary number.

The better drivers will be competitive on any tire. Others who cannot afford a
new set of tires every three or four events will be relegated to some
disadvantage because of the cost factor. Is this what our sport seeks? Hope
not. Did SCCA create this situation? Nope.

So my point - I say that if the tire companies hear us say that we prefer
tires that are competitive with each other, AND last a reasonable time, that
those tires will evolve and be offered.

How will they "hear" us? By not buying the product that does not meet our
needs. I personally will move to a tire that lasts longer than 3 or 4 events.
This will vary depending on driver, car, and equipment. To each his own.

No wonder the Street Tire classes are huge in our and many other
areas........oops - don't want to rehash that old argument     :-)

Scott Meyers