Re: McKamey: tire choice

To: richj50@bit-net.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: McKamey: tire choice
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
--- richj50@bit-net.com wrote:
> ...I'm thinking about using a worn-out
> set of Good Year GS-C
> 245 50 16s on stock 8" rims for the school.  Would
> this hurt my experience
> significantly?  I'd rather not burn up $600 of
> rubber if I don't need to.

Rich,

FWIW my opinion is that your car will behave somewhat
differently at the traction limit of its _race_ tires
than at the limit of its _street_ tires.  So, if you
want the most benefit from the school, run the car in
the exact configuration you will compete in, and cost
be damned.  There are plenty of people who do both
options at McKamey, though.  YMMV (literally).

I did McKamey I & II last month on a set of 225/50-15
R1's with 110+ runs on them, and they only corded
towards the end of day 2 (though they got really
slippery for a while first...R1's do go off towards
the end of their lives).  But that was in a 2300#
Miata...

hth,
Craig Blome
Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX