RE: Stock Car Advice

To: Kevin McCormick <ktm@Unify.Com>
Subject: RE: Stock Car Advice
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:04:39 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Kevin McCormick wrote:

> Someday Katie Edler and I will do an impromptu drag race between her '99 and
> my '95 to verify which is quicker.  Hard to tell by seat of the pants - and
> mine has the full cat back Borla, so is louder, making it _sound_ faster.

I have a '96 R.  It's a smidge faster accelerating than a friend's 94 C.
When Alan got the '99, we did a few 2nd gear runs of about 20 Miles Per
Hour to redline.  When the '99 had only a few hundred miles on it we would
be just about dead even.  I'd find myself pulling ahead a few times (sure
made me happy)  Now that Alan has racked up a few thousand miles, the '99
will walk from my '96 like mine will walk from the '94.

The '99 does hit the rev limiter earlier than the '96.  The '99 is about a
car length or two ahead of the '96 when it hits the limiter.  The '96
appears to have a couple more mph before it hits the limiter.

Hopping in and out of the two cars leaves me relly wanting a '99.  It
leaps off the line much better than the '96.  The '99 has the 4.30 rear
end compared to the 4.10 of the old cars.

Here's some interesting power figures for the cars:
94 - 95 Miata
128 hp @ 6500
110 ft/lbs @ 5500

96 - 97 Miata
133 hp @ 6500
114 ft/lbs @ 5500

99+ Miata
140 hp @ 6500
119 ft/lbs @ 5500

After looking at other classes, the power differences between the three
types of 1.8 Miatas isn't that big.  What do other folks think?  Will the
old cars be rendered completely obsolete?  Is the power difference enough
to nullify driver talent from teh equation?  (What I'm really asking is if
a sorta fast guy like me will still have a chance when the really fast
guys all develop the '99s)

Maybe I should be hunting for a co-drive with Alan...

Bret Dodson
'96 Miata R
Seattle, WA