Re: Stock Car Advice

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Car Advice
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 07:51:10 -0700
At 07:56 AM 4/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>I heard through the grapevine that the obvious car - the 1999 with the
>>Sport Package - may not be the way to go. What other years/options
>>should I consider or do you think the '99 Sport will eventually win out?
>
>I've actually heard the opposite about the '99 Sport.. (i.e. it's great).
>I know the Miata Sport is softer than the 94-97 R-pkg it replaced. I don't
>think the '99s had enough development time to shine. The 1.8L in the '99
>Miata makes more usable power, is slightly stiffer and rides on 15" alloys
>from the factory. If SSB is any measure, the '99 should show an advantage
>to the 1st gen. Miata's pretty soon.. (with equal drivers of course..)

No the '99 is *terrible*. Trust me, you _don't_ want one. Ok, so I'm lying
:-). Actually in reality the '99 is probably 2-3% better overall, but not
in all situations. George Douganis keesps proving the '94 model is right in
there despite having 12 less hp and higher gearing. Each one has it's pros
and cons and it usually comes down to the course as to which is better.

>As far as fitting, er.. I doubt it.. I'm 5'11'' and barely keep my head off
>my HardCore roll-bar in my '95R. I felt the '99 interior was a bit more
>cramped but I don't have the seat time to really be positive.. I don't like
>the added clutter of the '99s HVAC/gauges either. A friend who's around
>6'4'' (very long legs) couldn't begin to drive my car without catching bugs
>in the teeth.. :)

The '99 has a slightly smaller steering wheel but otherwise is exactly the
same interior-room-wise as the earlier car.

>Currently, I'm equal in skill set (read: little..) to another few Miata
>folks driving '99s and our times are very close. So close, the car has very
>little to do with anything.. :) My '95R is very capable and I'm confident
>it'll be very competitive w/ the '99 in BS. The pilot needs the work.. :)
>
>I've recently driven a '99 Sport and felt both were similar in the speed
>department with the '99 having a slight edge.. I guess that's considerable
>since mine is broken in and has a few parts (exhaust, K/N e.t.c.) The '99
>should be faster, everywhere.

The big problem with the '99 is shocks. Once Koni has their shocks out in
June/July we should start to see more of the '99's true potential. Right
now your choices are the too soft but ok Mazdaspeed shocks, the factory
non-adjuatable Bilsteins or $$$ custom shocks from Ground Control or Penske.

>>Or am I better off waiting awhile and see who/what comes out on top? Or
>>should I save my pennies and gamble on the new Honda when it comes out?
>
>I might not go grab a '99 or a S2000.. IF you can fit, a '94-97 Miata could
>be had for $11k or so.. Add on Konis, tires, sway-bar and cat-back exhaust
>and you're still barely breaking $12k without giving up much (well,
>$10k-20k depending on options you listed) at all..  The numbers on the
>S2000 are appealing but it's high HP numbers are WAY up the rev. range.
>It's not really what I'd call light (2800-3000lbs?) and IMHO, it's just
>plain UGLY.. :) I guess time will tell.

Joe Goeke (joe_goeke@hotmail.com) has his twice ProSolo championship '94 R
for sale for $10k with only 44,000 miles on it and all autocross equipment.
IMHO this is a bargain and is the way to go if you're thinking of getting
into a Miata. Hard to justify $22k for a new Sport when you can get a well
setuip used one for half that.

- Alan Dahl
1999 Miata Sport
#99 BS/P5