"It's just a car" - Colin is rolling over in his grave

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>, jemitchell@compuserve.com
Subject: "It's just a car" - Colin is rolling over in his grave
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 12:02:59 -0400
<<<I'm not interested in anything but common sense here. It appears that
there is a tremendous amount of superstitious fear of Lotuses that is
entirely unjustified. As high performance cars go, they're cheap, and
there are still plenty of Elans and Europas around in case anyone is
feeling rained on because "they can't find one." Parts are available and
generally cheaper than German car parts, and the cars are, for the most
part, easy to work on. Why is there such hysteria about these cars?

Jay "it's just a car" Mitchell>>>

Common sense? We don't gotta show you no stinking common sense!

And just a car??? Shame on you! Lotus as a marque has a racing heritage
that is untouched by any company of it's size. I thought they could do
no wrong until they created that FWD 'Elan'. But then again Porsche is
building an SUV so anything is possible. <shudder>

You can argue that Loti are unsafe on the highway due to insufficient
crash protection or their propensity to get squashed under big heavy
things, but you cannot successfully argue the RWD Elan and Europa are
not the dominant car in ASP over time. I'll always remember Dwight
Mitchell crying in frustration at the '89 Solo II Nationals when he
realized he could not win over Ron Babb.

Don't get me wrong. The Loti have every right - nay obligation - to show
up in parking lots and spank our collective asses. But why oh why do
they have to be in my class???

Paul Foster