Re: SP Proposal

To: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>, "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SP Proposal
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:13:04 -0600
Kent Rafferty said:

>OK, my kneejerk suggestion, which does not create another SP
>class and may make for more interesting competition:  Bump the
>RX-7 TT and Lotus Elan OUT of SP

Whoaa there. Both of those cars are in Stock also. The Elan has
been classed for years, and there's no basis whatever for now
removing it from either Stock or SP. They're cheaper to buy, set
up, and run in SP than 911s, and there are plenty of them around
if anyone wants to buy one. If it's a good SP car, then so be it.
You're simply proposing to penalize the folks who have taken the
time and spent the money to develop these cars. The same is true
for the RX7tt. These cars are already in the fastest SP class,
and the class has had sufficient entries at Nationals to continue
as is.

>and combine A/SP and B/SP
>and move all the "dregs" down to C, D and E  where they'll still
>get smoked - just not as badly.

I dunno if the BSP guys will want 911s or Vipers there;  you'll
have to ask them. There have been some cars in ASP that, IMHO,
were badly misclassed, but the solution to that is to reclass
them, NOT to screw the folks who have been the most successful at
developing and campaigning ASP cars.

>BTW, I love Elans and RX-7 TTs, but by removing them a whole
host
>of cars are at proximate parity:  911s, Corvettes, 240Zs,
Vipers, etc.

All that is required to achieve this, IF you are correct (and I
claim that's not been established), is to combine the above cars
in BSP. There's no need to banish ANY car that is presently
classed.

>To add one more element, let the turbo cars run unlimited boost
w/stock
>turbos in this class then see if the 300ZXTTs, Supra TTs,
Porsche turbos,
>etc. can compete.

"Unlimited boost" is a fantasy for SP. I know there are some cars
that have enough flow capacity in the stock turbo (possibly the
944 turbo, for example) to become a hand grenade if you're
allowed to play games with the boost. Once you're allowed to
build a hand grenade, the guys who can afford to do so will have
a distinct advantage. I'm against further restrictions on turbo
cars in SP, but I'm also against further allowances for them.

Jay Mitchell
ASP Lotus Europa S2