Re: Beginner questions - I read the FAQ ;-)

To: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>, autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Beginner questions - I read the FAQ ;-)
From: OneTimeCRX <hchea@ramapo.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:04:37 -0500

"Steven N. Burkett" wrote:

> 1)  Where can I get magnetic numbers, and how many digits do I need?

Solotime is a good place to order them (they do mailorder).  Somebody
else on team.net should have the phone# somewhere, or you can try
emailing solotime@southwind.net and requesting a catalog.  Whatever
numbers you get, you should get pairs of them, so that you can stick
them on both sides of the car.  First, get some 4" letters for your
class (such as ES, GS, etc).  Then get a couple of 8" 1's, and two or
three other numbers to give you some flexibility with combinations of
numbers.  Depending on where you run, you might be able to choose what
numbers you use.  If this is so, then try to find out what numbers
everybody else uses, and choose a different number.  Also, your local
club might run different numbers for the rookie class, so make sure that
the numbers you buy will work with that.  The numbers should also be in
a colour that stands out when compared to your car's paint colour.

> 2)  I am currently completely ignorant of my cars handling limits.  I know
> they greatly exceed my driving ability ('93 RX-7).  My plan is to start
> slow, possibly embarrassingly so, and stay within my comfort zone for my
> first few runs, gradually increasing the degree to which I push it.  Is
> this a good or bad plan?  Other tips here?

There's nothing to be embarassed about.  What's important is that you
work on staying on course first, then worry about going fast.  If you
try to go fast but keep on going off course, none of your times will
count.  Also, it is a completely different environment out there being
surrounded by cones, and if you don't concentrate, it is very easy to
get lost and go off course.  Especially for your first year, think of
your only competitor as yourself.  learn how to walk a course, stay on
course, then work at improving your driving skills at the basics such as
slaloms and turns once you're able to run the course without getting
lost.  Your times will gradually improve as the season goes on, but
don't think that because you're 10 seconds slower than the fastest cars
out there, that you should be embarassed.  No one is out there
specifically to laugh at you, unless you bring a friend along.

> 3)  Any additional hints on etiquette and culture out there?

Be friendly to people, even the ones who traditionally drive "enemy"
cars out there according to certain mags (such as ford vs camaro, honda
vs vw, american vs japanese, etc).  We're all out here to have fun, so
grudges against people you don't know isn't a good thing.  If there is
somebody else at the event who drives a car similar to yours, politely
ask questions to the driver about how you can improve your skills/times.

--
Cheers,
Henry C.