Re: Camber and Stock Classes question

To: Robert & Katherine Seamon <forestg@ionet.net>
Subject: Re: Camber and Stock Classes question
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 09:29:41 -0600
Robert & Katherine Seamon wrote:

> /* I have one question in multiple parts:

Great question, and one that deserves a refresher every so often.  I'm
not an expert on F bodies, but since I've managed to keep quiet on all
the other threads, I need to dump some words. (and hopefully some
correct information!)

> 1.  When you talk about "getting" -.5 or -1.9 degrees camber are you talking
> about the maximum allowed for stock class or SP?

I think they are talking about the maximum you can get on your car while
complying with the rules.  Complying with the rules means no camber
plates, crash bolts, or other means of adjustment if your factory
service manual does not allow them.  There are no specific rules that
say "You can only have XXXX degrees of camber."

> 2.  Is it true that stock class cannot change camber beyond manufacturer
> tolerances?

No.  Let's define tolerances first: Manufactureres will list a
recommended acceptable setting plus or minus some tolerance.  These are
*recommended* specs are for stock street settings, and should be
followed on your dialy workmobile.  You are allowed by the rules to go
outside this range, BUT you can only do it using the existing available
adjustment means.  In other words, if you loosen everything up, and you
can pull it out to 1 degree negative without making an other illegal
modifications, it is legal.  (Even though it is not recommended by the
factory via the tolerances)  Obviously, some cars are more blessed in
this area than others, and it often means the difference between a good
autocrosser, and a great one.

> 3.  If so, how do you find out these tolerances?

What you want to look for is methods of adjustment, not tolerances.  My
Neon for instance, has a factory service manual that allows "crash"
bolts to be used.  Since this is a factory authorized method of
adjustment, and I can prove it by showing someone where it says so in
the factory manual, I am allowed to get as much camber as I can with
these bolts.  Most cars do not have this allowance, therefore you are
stuck with utilizing only those methods of adjustment specified in the
book.  This is what limits your ultimate settings, not a tolerance or a
rule.

> 4.  Could I go to my local 'MegaTire' shop and say, "Give me the most
> negative camber the manufacturer allows."?

You can, but the answer you are most likely going to get is "no".  Most
of them look at you like you just asked them for a weasel.  Lots of
places like this won't go outside recommended factory settings for fear
of lawsuits.

>     4.a.  Should I go to my local club member owned sports car shop and ask
> the same question? (Would they have the books to    know what the
> manufacturer recommendations are?)

I personally would encourage you to go to any member owned businesses
whenever you can, provided they give you acceptable service.  It's nice
to support fellow AX'ers whenever possible.  No doubt, they will
understand what you are looking for and will help you out.  I would call
them first.

> 5.  If I get some camber will I have to bring some documentation to the
> event to show it is spec camber?

No.  You only need to be prepared to show that you are legal per the
rules.  (And that's only if someone protests you.)  The amount of camber
you have is not really relavent.  What is relavent is did you acheive
the setting through some means other than what is authorized.  At
National events, you will need to have the official factory service
manual with you as support.  Anything other than a National Tour, Pro,
or National Championships, don't worry about it.  Local protests are not
real common, and they can usually be worked out on the side anyway.
Best thing to do is simply make sure you are legal in all ways, or
declare it to your competitors if you are not.  Good luck!
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese