Re: g-force tire width

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: g-force tire width
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:38:34 -0500
> Anyone out there know if the 235/40/17 will fit on the 6.5" rim for DSMs?

Try it and see. :)

> I've read up on it and found that the tread section on this tire is .2" wider
> than the 245/40/17 (in the old R1s) that was run successfully last year by
> several DSMs in GS.

You'll probably get away with it, as long as you run a 1/4 inch spacer. I ran
the 245s on those rims last year - they bulge like balloons, but they were
faster than the 235s.

The trouble spot is the suspension upright on the inside. You've probably
already noticed a little clean spot there - I got 'em with the stock tires -
where the sidewall contacts the metal under hard cornering.

I used a 7/32" spacer (left a 1/32" behind as protest wiggle factor) and
everything was OK.

Now if the non-asymmetric, non-"cambered" g-force will _work_ like this on a car
with no static camber at all is anybody's guess.

DG

Who is using 275s in SP :)