Re: OBD-II

Subject: Re: OBD-II
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:35:47 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, washburn wrote:
> >           All OBD-II vehicles use the same connector and you cannot flash an
> >           OBD-II diagnostic trouble code (DTC). For example, P0300 is a
> >           misfire code and the cars can't flash a "P".
> Perhaps not, but if you were to assign arbitrary two digit numeric codes
> that represented the OBD codes, made the light flash those numeric tags,
> and then furnished a code book so you could translate,.......

I just had some experience with this with the neon....

First, I couldn't find the flash code decoder in the service manual
anywhere.  I eventually got 'em from www.neons.org.  Are they in there?

Second, which the list of flash codes had "Engine Mis-fire" in there
(flash code 43 I think it was), the ODB-II codes had "mis-fire on cylinder
1", "misfire on cylinder 2", etc.  It looked to me like the ODB-II codes
would potentially narrow down the problem more for you as well as show you
things that were starting to go wrong before it lit the MIL.

Of course, you gotta balance the $400 cost of a Scan-Tool and its more
features against the free "turn the key 3 times".  I'm a notorius tool
collector and even I'm having a hard time justifying it...

Mark