Re: toe alignment and centered steering wheel.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: toe alignment and centered steering wheel.
From: "Brian Naumann" <brn6604@mail.geocities.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:40:18 +0000
> Yes, but you'll be able to turn sharper in one direction than in the
> other.  You want the steering rack centered for this reason, and you
> want the steering wheel centered for human factors reasons (and personal
> sanity).

The main reason I know of for wanting the rack centered is to avoid
unfavorable bump-steer resulting from unequal length tie rods.

If you go to a halfway decent place for an alignment, they will lock
the steering wheel centered and treat toe as left and right rather
than looking at the total.  Of course, this makes the assumption that
a previous mechanic didn't pull the old recenter-the-steering-wheel
(on the cars that this is actually possible on).

Brian Naumann
brn6604@geocities.com