Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification

To: "Sam Strano" <strano@stranoparts.com>
Subject: Re: SP rules and ESP Clarification
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:42:16 -0800
>Well, my car is an L98 w/ 345 foot pounds, and we did different tests.
>Every time I got killed.

See below.

>WRONG!!!!  An LT1 makes 325 ft/lbs @ 2400 rpm.  My L98 makes 345 ft/lbs. @
>3300 rpm.  And they Lt1 doesn't have a torque converter to suck up any
>power.

I suppose I did have the LS1 in mind when I wrote that (335@4400). Sorry I
didn't clarify it a little better.

Torque converters only suck up power if you don't have enough already(just
ask the driver of any 4cyl/automatic) besides, Everybody knows Automatics
launch easier and harder either from a standing start, or a rolling one.
They will walk a Manual from the start every time. That's why the NHRA
classes Automatics in seperate classes (not saying we should, BTW). The LT1
should walk a L98 assuming both are autos and the rear gears are close, but
they don't. That's the L98's advantage. That's also why in SS the Vettes
that are considered the faster ones are the L98 Autos and the LT1/4 6-spds.

All ratings aside, my built-in torque-o-meter attached to the drivers seat
tells me that L98s pull better than LT1s, which pull better than LS1s from a
start. As you get over 2000-3000 RPMs, things start to change. By 4000 RPM,
the L98 is about done and the LS1 is running away with it. By nature of the
cars, some courses will favor the L98s.

>No you don't, and the 4th gen has a much worse curve than the 3rd gen.  I
>run 1.3 degrees and have perfect tire temps.  4th gen guys don't get that
>much camber and don't have temps like that.

That's odd, I got equal temps across the front tires on both cars. The only
difference was that the 3rd gen car had over 2 degrees up front and the 4th
gen only had .5 degrees. Both were static measurements.

Mike