Re: New car classifications (still long)

To: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: New car classifications (still long)
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:47:59 -0700
Tom Gentry wrote:

> Here goes... Stock is 0-2 points, Prepared is 3-7, Modified is 8-15.  Let's
>say Joe Average
> with a Mustang GT (again just an example) decides to put subframe connectors
>in his
> otherwise showroom stock car.  In SCCA competition he is now playing with the
>big dogs in CP
> (at least that was my perception as a novice).

        If they wish to compete at a national level event sure. But I doubt
that many, if any, local regions would care much if a Novice in an
otherwise stock mustang showed up with SFC's and ran in ESP or even F-Stock.

> Other points for common mods: "R" tires = 3; Rim width (per inch increase) =
>1; Rim diameter
> (per inch) = 2; Sway bar addition or revision (front or rear) = 1; spring
>rate change = 2;
> Bushing replacement = 2; Removal or tampering with emission control device
>(per device) = 1;
> Engine displacement (per 3% increase) = 1; Turbo or supercharge addition = 4;
>Carb or FI
> change on non-stock manifold = 3; Exhaust manifold change = 1.

        Wow. So even just based on this abbreviated list, most of the top SP
cars in SCCA would exceed the modified points allowance by a fair
margin. Hell, my still street legal CSP 914 almost exceeds the MC
Modified limit. I'm going to make an assumption here, please correct me
if I'm wrong. But it seems to me that the MC rules are geared toward a
daily-driver enthusiasts car, and not a car built specifically for
competition. Hell, an SCCA stock class car would find itself in MC
Prepared and knocking on the door of MC Modified.

> <<How do you decide what is the best way to spend your points?  Higger tires?
>Different
> front bar? Different rear bar?  Huge wheels?  Medium tires AND a bar?  And so
>on.  The
> Nationally competitive folks WILL do the testing and testing costs money.>>
>
> How does this differ from the current SCCA system?  At national level people
>will either do
> the testing or emulate someone who is doing well, same as now.  If you were
>to build a
> nationally competitive car according to current ESP rules where would you
>spend your money?
> Bigger tires? Different front bar? Different rear bar?  Huge wheels?  Medium
>tires AND a
> bar?  The questions at that level remain the same.

        I think that point was based on the financial argument, and attempting
to show that it wasn't valid. But if money is not the issue (making
competition cars affordable) then both methods are equal. The only
difference? In one method (MC) you have to choose between modA or modB
to stay under the points cap. In SCCA, you just bit the bullet and it's
all or nothing. Either way, at the national level, all of the above will
be purchased and tested to see if it's worth using.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/