Re: New car classifications (still long)

To: tgentry@execpc.com
Subject: Re: New car classifications (still long)
From: Gemery@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:16:52 EST
Tom Gentry writes:
> Sorry for the long post, but there has evidently been some misunderstanding
> of what I was describing.

Not a problem here!  (trimmed down quotes and well written!)

>   The point was that instead of a list of legal mods, the MC system lets the
> owner decide what he wants or what will make his car faster and take the
> points as appropriate.

In a broad view, how is this different from a bucket system?  If one chooses
subframe connectors and the result is uncompetitive in SCCA's case, how is
that different philsophically from, say, adding a turbo to a Miata in the MC
system (I'm guessing that it would move the Miata to M, but not R?).  [Yeah, I
know that's not a good example since it goes to M in SCCA, too, but it's the
best I can think of without reading MC's rules to demonstrate a lack of
philosophical difference]

> The points per mod are regardless of make/model, but
> different makes/models tend to respond differently to various modifications.

Which strengthens my point about both systems providing the same end results
for newcomers.  A newcomer who isn't aware of the rules is unlikely to have a
car optimized for the game.  An experienced competitor will optimize their
vehicle for the class they choose to run in.  Both systems, same result.

> You also don't tend to see anyone get kicked into the
> trailered racecar class because they made one particular mod.

There are some CP guys who say they don't need to trailer... For the most
part, however, I'll agree with you that points-based systems tend to avoid
mixing cars on slicks with cars on DOT tires.

> MC preperation levels, in order are Stock, Prepared, Modified.
> [...] MC Prepared is a very mildly modified
> category and lots of Prepared cars have only "R" tires and are very
> competitive.  MC Stock is really a drive it off the showroom type category.

So MC Stock is more restrictive than SCCA Stock?  That doesn't sound very
forgiving of minor mods... like changing to better (and probably more
expensive) tires than OEM?  how about changing to Monroe or Koni shocks when
the OEM shocks wear out?  Or changing cat-back mufflers?

[a URL for MC rules would be useful so we can compare apples]

>  On a national level there would certainly have to be more preperation
> categories, but that could certainly be done.

I don't think more categories are necessary.  I do think more experience with
the point cost for allowed modifications would be necessary.  I'll also wager
that when all is said & done across the nation that you end up with optimum
"performance packages" that resemble the bucket system and that certain cars
will still be "best" and that new cars will replace old cars--all the points
our initial poster wanted to avoid.

> For people like me (I think the majority of autocrossers) who are there to
> pump some adrenalin but enjoy at least the illusion of being close to
winning
> I still believe the MC system is better at keeping us grouped with like
> performing cars.

With the exception of a few marque-specific mods (subframe connectors, 911
timing chain tensioners, 914 headers, and turbo cars), I believe SCCA gives
you the same illusion.  After all, I did win the '95 Seattle NT CSP class in a
stock Miata and I'm far from a great driver (yes, there were other cars
entered).

> With SCCA there is a very real risk of getting put in with the $ERIOU$
racers
> because I've made one mod not on the approved  list for a lower category.

The $$ argument?  No, Prepared/Modified cars are not necessarily more spendy
to run than a modified street car.  My budget for tow vehicle, trailer, & EP
car is under $10k (if I ever finish building it!)... I definitely spent more
than that on the Miata when I owned it.

George Emery
gemery@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/gemery