RE: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: "'richj50@bit-net.com'" <richj50@bit-net.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:57:36 -0600

        ---

        Of course it is, the N/A crowd hates turbos.  Such a shame we get
more benefit from it, when the N/A crowd enjoys the lack of turbolag.

        Anyone wanna bet that the published HP numbers for turbo cars are
not with a convertor on the car?  Anyone?  Dont make me pull dyno sheets
outta the computer at work. :^)

> (2)  One of the best ways to gain a noticeable power increase with a turbo
> car in SP is to remove the cat, which is legal in SP.  My question:
> Why should removing the cat be legal in SP for any car, turbo or normally
> aspirated? This rule has always bothered me because street-prepared cars
> are "ostensibly" street cars, and the SCCA rules encourage a modification
> that is against federal law and that also needlessly hurts the
> environment.  While there are lots of trailered SP cars that never get
> street driven, I would venture to say that MOST SP cars at regional events
> around the country are daily drivers.  Why have a rule that encourages
> people to make their cars street-illegal and hazards to clean air in
> their role as daily drivers? I'd propose that rather than ban
> turbo cars from removing their cats, that ALL SP cars be required to have
> functional cats (stock or aftermarket).
        ---

        Environmental bah  *smiles*.  Most well tuned and maintained cars
will pass emisions easilly without the cat at all.  I've tested my Supra
with extensive modifications on the dyno-type emissions machine, and passed
at about 20% of allowed levels without convertors.

        Before you wonder about the miniscule emisions of a cat-less sports
car, lets look at busses, construction vehicles, Governmental vehicles, and
half the crap out there that by some grace of God gets through inspections
in the first place..you know, the 72 Nova mosquito fogger that lives down
the street from all of us.

        If I gotta keep my convertorS on, then by God so does everyone else.