Re: D Stock BMW 318ti

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: D Stock BMW 318ti
From: Ron Katona <ron3b@cris.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:14:02 -0800
Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> >The big disadvantage compared to the Neon is weight. The ti weighs in at
> >2750-2800 lb. What's an ACR weigh - under 2300?
> ======================
> WHAT THE????   2750-2800 pounds for a late model 318ti hatchback?  Is this
> true?  The darn things are no bigger than a Ford Festiva or a Geo Metro.
> What in the world is BMW doing to make them so heavy?

Want to hear something even funnier? It's ~250 lb lighter than a M
Roadster!

Actually, the ti is a lot bigger than a Metro or Festiva. The ti is
bigger than an E36 M3... minus eight inches of trunk. It's the roomiest
E36 on the inside. In fact, the EPA classifies the ti in the next
biggest class for their purposes than the other E36s. All BMW did was
lop off the trunk of an E36 (actually, it's a different chassis after
the A pillar, but that's the basic effect). The wheelbase and track is
the same as an E36 318/328, but the roof line is about a 1/2 inch
higher. Most people think it has a shorter wheelbase, but it doesn't.

Stiff chassis, soundproofing, big brakes/wheels/tires for it's class,
power everything... that's where the weight is. In Europe you can get it
sans power options, but not in the states. A stripper sport (a la the
ACR) model would have been a hot item.

Actually, I didn't know one finished 4th in DS in '97. Pretty good in a
class dominated by the Neon considering the ti's disadvantages. You have
to go down that list a long way to find another make. Still doesn't make
sense to seriously campaign one in DS though.
--
Ron Katona (taking a licking in CSP)