Re: Hype R kickin Class

To: "Heyward K Wagner" <sportscar48@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Hype R kickin Class
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:24:54 -0600
>You are in DS now and you want the Type R moved in?  Did you miss the
>comparison to the M3?
=======================
Nope, didn't miss a thing.  IMHO the Type R is a perfect match for the
criteria of a DS car.  And I'd welcome the "new blood" to the class.  BTW,
I've been feverishly looking for a used BMW 318ti hatchback to campaign in
DS.  I think it could be competitive, even with less power, due to it's RWD
design and excellent BMW handling.

>Before we try to prove that a Neon is a better
>race car that a Type R maybe we should try to get a Neon to go 100,000 on
>one head gasket.  What is a better race car?  That remains to be seen.
>What will still be running in 10 years and 175,000 miles? Survey says....
=======================
Irrelevant points on the race track (and autocross course for the Neons) as
the Neon as well as the Type Rs have both proven themselves to be capable of
winning.

If either car is raced with any regularity then neither one is expected to
make it to the 100,000 mile mark without some form of basic maintainance
including a few gaskets.  If used purely as a grocery getters (as both cars
were originally designed for) then the Neons have proven themselves quite
able to hold up in the long run.  I wouldn't call a leaky headgasket a life
threatening problem but rather just a result of too many penny pinching bean
counters having their hands in the engineers designs in order to keep the
cost of the car down.  Any car requires regular maintainance in order to
live a long and healthy life including the Hondas and Acuras.  Ever seen a
VTEC timing belt let loose.  Wow, it get's really expensive really fast.

>I will stand by my belief that the Neon is the Pinto reinvented.  Yes the
>Pinto was a valid race car in its day, however its day lasted little more
>than 24 hours.
>
>hKw
=======================
Ouch, that hurt.  Pinto?  At least you didn's say Pacer.   I think the Neons
have already proven themselves capable of lasting well more than the
proverbial 24 hours.  So far it's been over 4 years and still winning, er
counting.

IMHO, for the same amount of new car money there's nothing currently
available that'll touch the Neon in handling, power, braking and overall fun
to drive factor.  Nothing.

Now if you spend another $3000+ you can get one of the new Civic Si cars
with the torqueless VTEC wonder motor and maybe,  just maybe, be able to
keep up with the Neons. Of course if one were to spend that "saved" $3000 on
the Neon there wouldn't be much for less than $20K that could touch the
Neon.

If you can't tell by now, I REALLY like my Neon.  Had I bought a Type-R
instead I'd probably be touting it instead but I couldn't afford one so I
got the Neon instead.

I, in all of my newbie-ness and according to some a lack of experience so I
should keep my damn mouth shut, feel that based upon it's results so far
that they Type-R would be a good match for the DS class.

There, nuff said.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

You jump in front of my car  When you know all the time
That 90 miles an hour  Girl  Is the speed I drive
You tell me it's all right  You don't mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a drive
"Crosstown Traffic"  as recorded by Jimi Hendrix