Re: Fast First Run

To: autox-digest <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fast First Run
From: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 09:36:50 -0600
Mike Shields aksed:

> Has anyone ever (or anyone else) had this problem I typically seem to have? I
> come to an autox walk the course and get the path down easily. Then the first
> run, I rip off a very comptitive time. Runs 2-4 either seem to get
>progressively
> slower or little or no improvement

Yep, I've done that.  Not consistently, but on occasion.  Depends on the
course and the surface. (tight courses on slippery surfaces are usually
what does this for me if I don't THINK about it)  The solution:  If your
first run is "good" and your 2nd and 3rd runs aren't as good, BACK OFF
on the last run.  Chances are that you are indeed trying to overdrive
the course, and if you take it "slow & easy" (relatively speaking), you
could very well see a significant improvement over that first run.
Works for me.

It's that old "gotta go slow to be fast" thing.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca