Re: Course Designs

To: autox@autox.team.net (Autosports)
Subject: Re: Course Designs
From: "K.C. Babb" <kcb4286@hps13.iasl.ca.boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:20:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: RacerRay52@aol.com
>
> In a message dated 3/3/99 8:00:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, jamies@mrj.com
> writes:
>
> << an autocross isn't a navigation or memory exercise.  Odd lines and
>  obstacles are part of the challenge, but their locations should be obvious
>  from the driver's seat well in advance, not jumping out at the last minute.
> >>

>      Oh, how I wish this approach to course design could be universally
> embraced and enforced. Sometimes I arrive at an event and find a
> bewildering maze instead of a race-like challenge. And I go back
> home.

Nice to see somebody in the same camp as yours truly, though I accept
that there may be no "right" answer here, only opinion.  Somewhere in
the rule book it says something to the effect that course navigation
should not require superhuman capabilities of memory or visual acuity,
and I guess I've tried to take that to heart.  An "ideal" course would
perhaps be one that's quite easy to find (and see at speed), but hard
to drive well.  It's a good challenge for a designer to get that last
feature in without resorting to VBS (visual bull****).  IMHO, YMMV,
standard disclaimers, etc.

KCB