Re: Newbie: SOLO I/SOLO II, RX-7 and CS, Tire life

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie: SOLO I/SOLO II, RX-7 and CS, Tire life
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:21:54 EST
In a message dated 2/27/99 11:22:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, ares-1@erols.com
writes:

<<  Tire life... How many runs on street tires with a rating of say
 180.  I am just looking for a general number here.  Trying to figure out
 if I can afford to go to racing school in the near future (if I don't
 get deployed).  How about the racing tires? >>

     A general answer is about all one can give on this question.
     There are so many variables. Driving style, pavement
abrasiveness, the car...
     On street tires  with a rating of 160 I have gotten maybe
an hour of autocross time plus several thousand miles of
street driving.
     At the moment I'm using some tires with a much higher rating
and while they don't have much grip they show very little wear
after being punished in about a dozen autocrosses and driven
on the road for several thousand miles.
     On R-compound tires (the kind sold with racing/autocrossing
as their sole purpose with a treadwear rating of 50) I never got
more than about 45 minutes of autocrossing and zero street miles.
     Too bad scca doesn't allow retreads. A good retread is as
safe and durable as a new tire and the costs are significantly
less.
     Hope this helps.
     Happy motoring.

Ray Elliott