Re: Newbie: SOLO I/SOLO II, RX-7 and CS, Tire life

To: ares-1@erols.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie: SOLO I/SOLO II, RX-7 and CS, Tire life
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:30:31 EST
In a message dated 99-02-27 11:22:57 EST, ares-1@erols.com writes:

<< What is the difference between SOLO I and II?  Am I correct
 in guessing from the web site that I would be going to SOLO II?  So clue
 less on this stuff.  >>

Solo II is slower speed, on parking lots, airport runways and taxiways, etc.
Solo I is still one at a time against the clock, but at higher speeds, usually
on racetracks.  The safety requirements are more stringent in Solo I.

<<  WRT the RX-7.  I am looking for a decent 2nd gen (89-91 probably)
 RX-7 right now.  I was curious as to how it does in it's class, CS from
 what I gathered.  I would love to hear from owners about reliability
 issues (yes I said reliability in a racing list :-) ).  Love the car but
 most of the ones I have looked at have been beaten/raped.  Any good
 rotary mechs in the VA/D.C. area?  Thanks!  >>

The only 2nd gen worth considering is a GTUs, and they are fairly expensive
and unproven in C/S.  A GSL-SE 1st gen is (at least by the results to date)
the best bet.  HOWEVER, none of them can compete with a well driven 2nd Gen
(91-2) MR-2, so why bother?  My experience with my GSL-SE (since '96) has
been:

1)  Less than reliable.  I bought the car for $3400 (with 100K miles), and
have $8000 invested in it (166K miles) by now, mostly just keeping it running.
And that's just parts, which are even expensive with your Mazda Comp discount,
since I do my own work.  I hate to think what it would've cost if I'd been
paying labor, too!

2)  VERY fun car to drive, until you get your time slip and find out how far
back from the MR-2s and 924Ss you are.

3)  There appears to be no interest on SCCA's part to move RX-7s, 1st gen
MR-2s, 240Zs, Alfas, etc. out of the class.  I can't even get a reply to my
letters to them, much less get anyone to tell me why they aren't considering
this.  So, I think it's a dead issue.

4)  91-2 MR-2s are available for less than $7K.

<<  Tire life... How many runs on street tires with a rating of say
 180.  I am just looking for a general number here.  Trying to figure out
 if I can afford to go to racing school in the near future (if I don't
 get deployed).  How about the racing tires?  >>

Very difficult to answer.  Depends on the tire itself, surface, temperature,
etc.  Racing school?  Do you mean autocross school, or road-racing school?

 <<  Once again thank you all for your help.  I can't wait to get out
 there.  I am off to look for the car... AGAIN.  I probably won't get one
 for a couple of months at this rate.  i may have to have a go at it in
 the Protégé.  My 2 year old would love it.  :-)  >>

Don't rush your search.  The car you want WILL turn up.