Re: Rollbars and Weiners

To: Topper Jones <gbrt@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rollbars and Weiners
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:43:49 -0800
Topper Jones wrote:
> On page 98 of last years Rule Book (1998) under Stock
> Category it states "Roll bars and roll cages may be
> added." It goes on to say a lot more but that's the main
> thing you needed to hear.

I don't have my rulebook handy, so I may be sticking my foot in my mouth
here.

But it amazes me how simplistic an approach some people take to reading
the rules.  "Roll cages are legal" does not imply that you may make
otherwise illegal changes to install them, unless those are specifically
called out.  For example, it's easy to imagine a roll cage with a
diagonal brace that would require removing the passenger seat.  Many
RRCs (Real Race Cars) have such a cage installed.  Does the fact that
"roll cages are legal" in stock mean that you can install one of these
sorts of cages that requires the passenger seat to be removed?  No way,
I'm pretty sure you'd lose that protest.

Granted, that's a major extension of the principle here ... but my point
is that otherwise minor illegal changes aren't all of a sudden legal if
you have a cage, unless they are explicit called out as legal.

Again, my feeling is that it's unlikely that you would ever be protested
by anyone if the illegal changes you make to install your rollbar are
truly insignificant.  But you do open yourself up to the potential,
because, let's face it, some of the changes that may be required may be
technically illegal.

Josh