Re: sp changes in fast track

To: "K.C. Babb" <kcb4286@hps13.iasl.ca.boeing.com>
Subject: Re: sp changes in fast track
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:31:38 -0800
OK, I finally got my March SportsCar and have read the relevant items in
Fastrack.
Whatever the perceived "problem" was, I've gotta say the "solution" is a
lot worse. Point by point:

1. "Fuel tank changes are permitted only as allowed under 14.1C. No
additional tanks or reservoirs may be used." At the very least, this
needs to be worded so as not to appear to outlaw OEM fuel systems that
came from the factory with  auxiliary fuel reservoirs (all Bosch CIS
systems, used on various Porsche, BMW, Volvo, and VW models dating back
to '73 or so).

2. "Fuel filters must be of automotive type..." as opposed to what?
Bicycle type? Aviation type? How we gonna tell the difference? "... and
may serve no other purpose." So I can now protest a car for a fuel
filter that holds too much fuel. As a point of back-to-Earth reference
for those in doubt, the STOCK fuel filter on my street car is close to a
quart in capacity, and that's not terribly unusual these days. Now we've
gotta worry that somebody may accuse us of installing a fuel filter
that's too big, so it also functions as a reservoir. No gray areas here,
huh? Thanks, SEB.

3. "Fuel lines may be no larger than 1/2" i.d...." Well, thank God for
ONE specific item. No problems here, unless your STOCK lines are larger
than that (admittedly unlikely). "...and may only connect to the
original fuel tank or allowed fuel cell." In my experience, a fuel line
usually has TWO ends. Are both ends REALLY required to connect to the
tank? "They may be no longer than necessary for a SAFE AND REASONABLE
INSTALLATION." (emphasis mine). That's a good one. So, lemme get this
straight: I can protest a competitor over excessive fuel line length,
and as long as I can cut out some of his line and reconnect what's left
"safely and reasonably," he's illegal. If I can remove ANY amount - even
1/2" - and the line can still be reconnected, then BY DEFINITION (the
SEB's definition) the lines WERE "longer than necessary for a safe and
reasonable installation." Here's a new gray area where none previously
existed.

4. "A single fuel feed line may be used. A single fuel return line may
be used, and a fitting for connecting it may be added at or near the top
of the fuel tank." I can't see that that one causes any problems, but I
havent' played around with aftermarket EFI systems yet, either.

Some items of note:

1. The NUMBER of fuel pumps is still unrestricted. So you can still fit
a pickup pump and a pressure pump. That's good news for the EFI guys.
But wait! What about the size of the fuel pump HOUSINGS? The way I read
the new wording, you're subject to protest if anyone else thinks they're
big enough to "serve another purpose."

2. There is still no restriction on the number of fuel filters you can
install. Does that make sense to anyone?

3. Cars with fuel tanks at one end and the engine at the other can get
pretty close to sufficient "routing" (not "holding," only the FUEL TANK
can "hold" fuel) capacity in a "safe and reasonable" run of 1/2" i.d.
fuel line to complete an entire autox run starting with an empty fuel
tank. A 10' run of 1/2" line will "route" (definitely NOT "hold," that's
illegal) 13 ounces of fuel. Add an inline fuel filter (automotive type,
please, and NOT TOO BIG, now) to that, and you won't have to draw from
the tank for an entire run. Now, if you start the run with no air in
your line and filter(s), you're all set. So, how to purge the ari? How's
about disconnecting the line at the inlet to the pressure pump (if it
turns out to be legal to actually CONNECT it to anything other than the
tank), and running the pickup pump for a second or two, allowing any
excess fuel to run into the fuel can you've got with you on grid? Then
carefully clamp the open end of the line with a hemostat or fuel line
clamp and reconnect it to the pressure pump. Works for me.

What exactly was it the SEB was trying to prevent with these revisions?
Did they succeed?
Will it be worth the effort and acrimony that the new gray areas are
almost certain to generate?

Jay "somebody 'splain this to me again" Mitchell