RE: Revised shock rule

To: "'TeamZ3@aol.com'" <TeamZ3@aol.com>, Kevin McCormick <ktm@Unify.Com>,
Subject: RE: Revised shock rule
From: Kevin McCormick <ktm@Unify.Com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:48:38 -0800
Thanks, Mark

That leads to the question of what 'overall extended length' means.  I could
read it two ways:

1) the top to bottom length, regardless of mounting locations (i.e. top
perch boss).  That seems silly.  An extra inch of threads out the top - oh
boy!

2) The total distance between the bottom and top mounting locations - bottom
eyelet to top boss.

If it is 2, then, with the additional clarification from Mark, I can have a
1" longer shock body, everything else being the same,  as long as the stroke
is the same as stock.  Is that right?  It is traveling the same distance
(stroke.)

This would mean that the shock/spring unit (a Miata here, for example) would
be less compressed before (1 inch more distance top to bottom, but the same
stroke), but with body weight would reach the same ride height.

Or am I just way off here - We talked to Howard about this last year in
seattle and thought we had it clear, but it seems less so now...

Thanks again all,

Hoping to clarify this...

Kevin

So, what exactly does 'overall extended length
The first reading of the 'extended length' rule read like this had to do
with