Re: Different slant on women racers

To: bthatch@juno.com
Subject: Re: Different slant on women racers
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:01:38 -0600
bthatch@juno.com wrote:

> Women autocrossers of the world, please help us to know what to do to
> change this around. Especially if you tried it here in Atlanta and have
> some inside info on why women are staying away in droves.

Brace yourselves.....is it possible that men and women are just
different in some things, and that is O.K.?  I remember a network T.V.
piece reporter John Staussle (SP!) did on this subject, and it harks
back to a very basic reality. In some areas of interest, men and women
simply differ and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Before you bunch your undies, be reminded that I have not said a word
about the actual *performance*.  I'm talking about *interest* in the
sport.  The gals I have known that were interested in trying this sport,
have usually been pretty good at it.  Guess why...because they are
interested in it and they love it. I think it works that way on
everyone.   My personal experience tells me that *most* women that I
know are just not interested in motorsports.  I always offer anyway, and
continue to entice them into trying it, but I respect peoples decision
to not be interested too.  I'm guessing that if you have a 20 percent
hit ratio on recruiting men, you would have maybe a 1 percent ratio in
attracting women.  Just the way it is.

Just another angle on an old subject.
--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>