autox-cm

Re: considering an FF

To: <gduncan2@comcast.net>, "AutoX-CModified" <autox-cm@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: considering an FF
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:38:32 -0500
Greg,

Some thoughts/comments to help "push you" into a Formula Ford, even if it
needs a lot of work:

As I recall you were considering building an E Mod Porsche. If so, I'm
assuming that you are already pretty handy around cars and that you have a
place to work on a project car.

Doing a COMPLETE ground up (if it needs it) on that 87 Van Diemen will be
both a lot less work and dollars and will result in a competitive car that
will be almost no maintenance for years of autocrossing compared to a
typical "build it" E Mod project. Plus when you get done, YOU know every
nut and bolt on the car and how everything goes together compared to buying
one in good shape. A few years later when something needs to be taken apart
again, you may actually still remember how it is assembled:-)

Other than the "castings" several of us have mentioned, the parts for a
formula ford are very inexpensive compared to many other potential project
cars, including I'm pretty sure, Porsches with enough power to be
competitive in E Mod. Even the castings may not be too bad compared to E
Mod stuff. I believe a new custom fuel cell is in the $600 dollar range
which in the scheme of things isn't too bad if the cell in the car is bad.

FF legal wheels are probably a whole lot less expensive that E Mod wheels.
Ditto for tires.

The cars are practically bullet proof when used for autocrossing with the
exception of lightweight aluminum diffs (which I don't use) and a 14 tooth
second gear (which I also don't use). Even these parts are up to a lot of
abuse before they break (if they ever do).

The cars are easy to work on, especially the "modular" ones like the 85 and
later Van Diemens.

They are not especially "set up" sensitive for many of us. Some like stiff
springs. Some like soft sprngs. Some like different price ranges of shocks.
Some like "short gearing", some don't. Every approach seems capable of
trophies at Nats, including # 1.

You don't need a "really big" tow vehicle if an open trailer is ok (like it
is for most of us). I originally towed with a 5.0 Mustang and other guys
tow with small cars, mini vans, and small pickups.

Finally, you get to apply a bunch of the stuff in Carroll Smith's books.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF