autox-cm

Re: Starting Problem; Searching the CM Wealth of Knowledge

To: Charlie Mathews <cmathews3@mchsi.com>, CM List
Subject: Re: Starting Problem; Searching the CM Wealth of Knowledge
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:38:22 -0400
At 10:07 PM 4/25/2004, Charlie Mathews wrote:
>Last weekend my wife and I were sharing the Lola in the same heat, and for
>our last run each, the car would not fire (though it cranked over very
>well) until the moment we released the start pushbutton.  The car then
>stumbled and then started.  There appeared to be no fire until we released
>the start pushbutton.  We start the car with the on-board battery, but it
>appeared to have lots of life at the end of the day.
>Does anyone have any thoughts or a similar problem.  I'd like to narrow my
>search before I try to replace all of the electrical components.
>
>Charlie Mathews
>'82 Lola T642

Hi Charlie,

You just have to be different, don't you! Usually the problem is that the
car stalls when the start button is released due to a ballast resistor
problem. I assume you don't have a ballast resistor but if you do, maybe it
is open and the ignition doesn't get voltage until you release the start
switch.

Before replacing components, check the wiring and connections at both the
dash end of the circuit and at the engine/coil/starter end.

First, however, see how it does with either a jumper battery or with a
fresh charge.

You might do a "points resistance test" on the whole primary ignition
circuit. This is a great way to spot high resistance connections in the
primary circuit which can cause whimpy spark, especially when the voltage
is pulled down by the heavy starter current draw.

Dick