autox-cm

Re: trailer questions

To: Charlie Mathews <cmathews@theramp.net>
Subject: Re: trailer questions
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:46:23 -0500
Charlie Mathews wrote:
> 1. As I understand it, 2000# is the point of brakes/no brakes.

I think some states (Ohio?) require brakes over 1500#.  Don't know
if that's just for trailers registered there, or any trailer
passing through (I'm sure if it's the latter, lots of us are not
in compliance).

> I have never had any problems, and I tow with a minivan.

My brakes aren't hooked up either; my loaded trailer also weighs
around 1500, and I've never had any issues, even with panic stops
(though they certainly take longer than they would with brakes).

> 2. No experience on that.  I have aluminum ramps (C shaped).

I too have aluminum ramps.  They're worth it, whatever the cost.

> 3. Establish the position that you will tie the racecar down such
> that you have a tongue weight around 100-150# (if you use a class
> 2 hitch).  This balances the trailer and gives you enough tongue
> weight.

I aim for closer to 100 pounds on the Jetta.  I've found that moving
the car one inch changes the tongue weight about ten pounds.

Mark

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list
///