autox-cm

Re: Trailer Questions

To: <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trailer Questions
From: "James Sokalsky" <jimmyracer1@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:09:33 -0500
  Eric Jones wrote...
1) Any problem with not getting brakes (elec/surge) on the trailer?
Total weight will be less than 2500 lbs, more like 2000 to start.

2) Ramps. I'm looking at building my own out of 2x12" wood boards.
Should be sturdy enough, right?

  Hi Eric

        My name is Jim and I've been towing my 83 Reynard FF with a home built
single axle trailer for 3 seasons now with no trouble at all.  The axle is a
motor home axle and it has all the hardware for the electric brakes right on
it but I never spent the money to get them working.  I tow with a pretty "Used
Up" F-150 pick up and stopping really doesn't seem to be any problem.  As for
the weight of my trailer....  Not too sure.  I just know it seems heavier than
other trailers of comparable size that I've dealt with in the past. (6'x12'
utility trailer)

        As far as ramps go...  I've been using the same 2 x 12-12' pressure
treated ramps for the last three seasons.  I prop them up about half way to
the trailer otherwise they flex too much and the car bottoms out . They're
plenty sturdy and relatively inexpensive.  On the down side, they're heavy and
awkward.  I've seen a bunch of other ramp setups that seem much more user
friendly.  I keep using mine simply because they're "Paid For".

        Hope this helped out.

                                        Jimmy

///
///  autox-cm@autox.team.net mailing list