Re: Series V, 8" clutch ?

To: "Jonathan Mies" <jmies@comcast.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Series V, 8" clutch ?
From: "Mike Hooper" <mike.hooper@panavision.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:59:13 +0100
I more grist to the mill.

Your story reminded me of an article in my Rapier owner's club mag.  It
concerned clutch upgrades on early Rapiers, but may help, and it also tallys
with the reply from Jan Servaites:

"For background, the series I to early series IV Rapiers are fitted with an
8" coil spring clutch...   ...late series IV, V and fastbacks have a 7 1/2"
diaphram clutch. The H120 has a 8 1/2 " diaphram clutch, and this clutch
cover pressing and gauge plate height is the same as the MGB...   ...Series
I, II, and early series III have a two dowel fitting and the flywheel has
two holes to match. The late  series III, IIIa, early series IV and H120
have a three-dowel fitting and all use the same flywheel. The later series
IV, V and other fastbacks also have a three dowel fitting but on a 7 1/2"
diameter.

"...clutch driven plate, which on a H120 and MGB has a fine spline, whereas
the series I, II, III, IIIa, and early IV all have a coarse spline...
...You can use either a 8" or 8 1/2 " with the H120 or MGB clutch cover..

"The existing clutch release lever and and the bearing from the earl series
I, II, III,, IIIa and early IV is to be used, but the the release lever
pillar needs to be changed for the later series IV or V type. These are
about 1/2" taller...   ...The hydraulics remain unchanged"

All credit must go to Tony Hugget, long time member of the Sunbeam Rapier
Owner's Club (www.sunbeamrapier.com). The article appeared in the Spring
2004 iss of 'Cut and Thrust'.

As I said. I hope this helps.

Mike Hooper
'68 H120

Panavision UK can be found at www.panavision.co.uk

which are not the views of Panavision UK unless specifically stated.

If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not
use, copy
or disclose the information in any way nor act in  reliance on it and notify
the sender
immediately. Please note that Panavision UK monitors e-mails sent or received.