Re: Series V, 8" clutch ?

To: "Jonathan Mies" <jmies@comcast.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Series V, 8" clutch ?
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:26:25 -0700
Just so you will know, you have a clutch from a MGB in your car. The early
series car use a clutch that works off of springs. They tend to be heavy as
hell. The MGB clutch (diaphragm) is a direct bolt on to the early style
flywheel which can be machined down to lose about 5 pounds easily. You can
lighten them still more, yet this gets expensive. This clutch is almost
identical to the Volvo clutch yet the MG is designed to use the carbon
bearing while the Volvo is designed to use a roller bearing. I personally
use the MGB style NOW because it is lighter, diaphragm, and with more meat,
lasts a tad longer. Not having to accelerate the early style clutch
continually has to save money in fuel. But your debate deals with using the
1725 style clutch. These are cheap enough and available. Jan Servaites said
he has machined flywheels with new ring gears. I would look into this since
this will probably be the last one you ever buy. One last thing is that you
can always rotate a worn ring gear 45 degrees since they generally only get
used in 4 spots anyway. This is a temp fix that will save you money in
flywheels, but will probably wear out starters fast enough. Lou