Re: Driving with overdrive

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving with overdrive
From: RootesAlpine@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:03:47 EDT
JGross@econolite.com writes:

> <<<I dont think the clear consensus is to use the clutch....
> The key point here is dont be in a "decel" condition>>>

At SUNI III John Roseby, the UK guru on OD and rebuilder of many, was
breaking down a transmission with Carl Christianson at a tech session.   John
stated you should simply use the switch to shift into OD and use the clutch
shifting out.   He did not further explain this but perhaps it is because you
are accelerating or at least maintaining as you go into OD and decelerating
when you downshift.

I use the clutch both ways because it cannot hurt... and OD 3rd being just a
little lower than regular 4th makes it a good 2 lane highway passing gear.
Up shift to OD 4th as you go by his doors.
Rob Carpenter