Re: Driving with overdrive

To: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Subject: Re: Driving with overdrive
From: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 23:25:56 +0100
Hi John,

here is the text from the instruction manual provided my Rootes:

Source - series 5 drivels hand book
Over drive switch (if fitted)

the overdrive unit is controlled by a manually operated switch on the
steering column and by a switch on the gearbox top cover. The switch in
the gearbox is automatically operated when either 3rd or 4th gear is
selected so that the over-drive can be engaged only when the gear lever
is in either of those gears.

To engage or disengage the over-drive when the gear lever is in either
top or 3rd gear, move the manual switch in the appropriate direction.
the switch is of the self cancelling type, which means that, when the
overdrive or direct drive is selected, the switch will return to the off
position.

It is not necessary to move the clutch pedal when making these changes,
which should be carried out with the accelerator pedal depressed.

It is generally advisable to disengage overdrive switch before changing
from third to second gear, as this will ensure that the transmission is
not subjected to heavy loads due to by-passing direct third gear.

In the Unlikely event of the overdrive failing to disengage, reverse
gear must on no account be used.

My OD is better if you back off the gas pedal slightly when you engage
OD  and step on it a little when you release it say to overtake.
the clutch use when going down is not a bad idea as it takes the load
off the OD when moving from engaged to released.

regards

Jeff

In message <3D6FF5DD.42763093@igs.net>, John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
writes