Re: Tire Pressure??

To: chuck nicodemus <armorseal@spiretech.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Pressure??
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:56:47 +1000
Not only that, but factory stated pressures tend to be on the low side anyway
(manufacturers like their cars to ride smoothly).  Underinflated tyres overheat
due
to excessive sidewall flexing and this frequently causes blowouts.  They also
deliver poorer handling (sidewall flex), greater rolling resistance, reduced
fuel
economy, and they will wear out faster, and wear less evenly.

The original Tiger pressures were probably also for cross-plies.  For an
equivalent
size tyre,  radials should be inflated a couple of pounds harder.  I'd try
pressures
in the 28-30 range, if you inflate too hard you risk wearing out the centre of
the
tread before the edges.

I have also heard folk saying that hard pressures make the car handle worse
because
it bounces too much.  That probably means your dampers (shock-absorbers) are
worn
and failing to control spring oscillation in the way they are intended to.

My 300 pacific pesos on tyres

Vic