Re: exterior mirrors

To: "List, Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exterior mirrors
From: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:00:16 -0500
I've always had mirrors on the front fenders of my sports cars (see
exception lower down !!), and am in the process of installing them on my
current restoration. I use the slightly convex type and find them
extremely useful. You don't have to look aside as with the door mounted
mirrors, since they are both in your normal field of vision all the
time. I have tried door mounted mirrors in the position(s) described by
Kevin, in fact I have them on my Tiger, but I really do not like them
nearly as much as the fender mounted ones, and find them awkward. It is
obvious that the door mounted mirror is considerably closer to the
driver in a sports car than in a contemporary sedan, which adds to the
awkwardness of using it.  I very much like the door mounted mirrors on
my 96 Accord.

As to looks, I think the fender mounted mirrors look way better, on a
sports car, than do door mounted mirrors. I would also recommend using
the ones with the spring loaded base since on the fenders they are
slightly more prone to getting knocked.

The ones I am installing now were purchased in the early 70's by me and
are "TEX Viewmasters".

John Slade
Manotick, ON