Re: exterior mirrors

To: rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exterior mirrors
From: "Kevin McLemore" <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:09:08 -0500
Russ -

My 67 SV was dealer-supplied with a 'bullet' mirror on the driver's door
(LHD), located just outside the wing window, so that the mirror face was
visible just at the leading edge of the moveable door glass.  The exact
location is with the rearmost portion of the bullet (the line just between
the swiveling mirror section and the bullet) exactly even with the trailing
edge of the chrome wing window frame/leading edge of the moveable door
glass.  The only drawback with it in this location is that the tenax fastner
for the tonneau is a bit close, but it does just work. The mirror is marked
"Talbot & Co - W. Berlin", so it is an authentic original period accessory,
and I have the original invoice for the car, so I know it was supplied 'as
new' in that position. (I bought the car from the original owner).

As for placing them on the front wings, well, two thoughts - first, I think
it will ruin the clean lines of the graceful front, but apart from that, the
mirror will be so far away that the effective field of vision will be
substantially reduced - perhaps enough as to be useless unless it is a
convex-lens mirror.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Kevin McLemore