About using marine batteries

To: Alpine list members <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: About using marine batteries
From: 110156.3206@compuserve.com
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 18:43:25 -0500
I was a marine dealer for 17 years until I sold the place and "retired".
About marine batteries:  True deep cycle batteries are designed
internally to be able to tolerate slow and deep discharging, and slow
recharging.  Typical maximum current they can tolerate is usually
about 50 amps, which is considerably less than the typical starter
motor used in marine inboards and sterndrives.  In my experience,
hooking up one of those to a starter would ruin the battery in a short
time.  Cranking batteries are designed for heavier current loads and
rapid recharge.  I have seen them last only a few "cycles" that are
routine for a deep-cycle battery.  They actually need the higher
currents.  There are now "combination" batteries that are claimed to
be good for both, but I have little experience with them, since I never
purchased them.  I recommend using an automotive  cranking battery,
and that you get one with as high a cold-cranking rating as you can,
since it will still be adequate when its performance has degraded with
age.

Carl Wade
S5  B395000858 LRX