Re: Valve Seals

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Seals
From: ellis838@concentric.net
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 18:51:50 -0500
 Brent,
 I use the modern type seals.  First find a good quality seal that will
fit in the spring and is the correct size for the valve stem. Then
reduce the diameter of the top of the guide to fit the new seal. I have
done this on three heads not sure if it is any better than the stock
type seal but it can be done and does not add much to the cost of the
head work.
 On another head note has anyone ever lapped the head to the block. I
was hanging around some drag racers the other day and talking about head
gasket problems. The one fellow said he had trouble getting  Hemi heads
to seal until he started lapping  the head. Seems he uses valve lapping
compound and moves the head in a figure 8 over the top of the block
until the surfaces are completely flat to each other.   Jim