Re: Looking for owner of an Alpine for wheel and tiredimensions

To: Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for owner of an Alpine for wheel and tiredimensions
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:48:13 +1000
Brent Kasl wrote:

> I was always under the impression that all Alpines, including the early
> S2, had a wider track in the front than the back.

All Alpines do have wider track at front than rear, SVs have wider front
track than earlier Alpines.

> Is it possible to space the rears so
> they track evenly, or would this through handling off? Brent

My theory is that 'wider track at front than rear' is a deliberate design
feature that promotes straight line stability.  I suggest that this is done
particularly in rear drive cars where the car is pushed along and the rear
is (under power) constantly trying to overtake the front - wider front track
makes the car less 'nervous' in a straight line (but probably also less
responsive to steering in corners).  Our Alpine certainly feels more stable
in a straight line than our MX5 (Miata) which has wider rear track than
front.  While I realise that a whole heap of other suspension variables
(like roll centre, roll stiffness, spring travel and damper rates) come into
the equation I just have this feeling that the relative track widths play an
important basic part.

Would love to hear others opinions on this.

Cheers

Vic