Re: Having problems with my Rear End

To: CANISDOG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Having problems with my Rear End
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:13:15 -0700
CANISDOG@aol.com wrote:

> First, I didn't find any of the ring gear bolts loose as I had thought I
> would.  Should I still change these?

Paul,
        Pull the bolts and red Loctite them.

> With the differential out of the
> pumpkin, is there any way to identify these gears as to the ratio and or
> year?

Huh? Count the teeth and divide pinion number into ring number. All the
years are the same.

> "yellow" paint markings on it.  The only reason I need to know is to get the
> right pinion seal from Rick.  I guess I can just pull it out and get some #'s
> off of it.

Remember, that the early rear ends used a different axle spline and the
early axle bearings are sealless. Is your car a later model? The early
seal is a larger metal seal, compared to the later series.

> Rick lists two (2) thickness' of gaskets for the end of the axle housing and
> says "6 per car."  My question is what the difference?  I called Rick and
> asked this question and got the smart-ass answer of  "about .004  thousands."

Rick is correct. The brown paper shims are 0.010".

> So.  What is the story on these?  Is there something I need to "mic" when
> installing the axles?  If I miss this gasket by .004 my car will flip over at
> 60 mph and grind my face off!  What's the deal!

My advice is to get a dial indicator setup to measure the axle end
float. Install the gaskets enough to get some slop, then start setting
the end float to the value in the Sunbeam manual. I found that I need to
set one side initially, then the opposite side, and back to the other
side. I have done about 6 Alpine rear ends this past year so far.
Jan

--