Re: [Re: Engine for S I]

To: "Peter Noonan" <peter.noonan@xtra.co.nz>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Engine for S I]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 26 May 2001 11:51:02 EDT
Rodolfo,

Thank you VERY much for the information on the Hillman factory.  I have
information that Rootes opened one in Mexico in the middle 1950's but other
then that, I have no other information.

Regarding the engine number- the "8" indicates a "Special" model rather then a
"DeLuxe".  The "Special" model Hillman was a somewhat plainer, less trimmed
model then the "DeLuxe" but it used the same engine and transmission.  The
engine would be a 1,494cc and had a cast iron head rather then the aluminum
head of the Alpine.  It also used a very different camshaft.  The entire
engine could, however, be dropped into an Alpine.  You would only have 50 HP
instead of the 75 HP of the Alpine engine.

By the way, were Plymouth Crickets (or Hillman Avengers) ever sold in Mexico?

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III DeLuxe
1973 Hillman Avenger (ex Plymouth Cricket)

"Peter Noonan" <peter.noonan@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
Rodolfo, Here's my opinion..........

9090037 WRO

The R in the 2nd letter space = Roadster
An R in the 1st = RHD or
An L in the 1st = LHD
A W in the 1st = CKD being Completely Knocked Down or Crated Knocked Down
An O in the 3rd = Ordinary

For CKD packs it was usual Rootes Policy for specific markets to be further
identified by a fresh numbering block being established and the clue here is
the 909xxxx
That 3rd letter being 9 establishes a Group which may contain all the CKD's
or just the ones for Mexico.

Given that your Chassis Number is correct, here is evidence of at least 37
CKD Series I Alpines built outside of England.

I don't see any of these recorded in the Alpine I Registry, here's your
chance to be in first.

1980628 looks like
1= Hillman Minx
 9=1959
  8=?
    0628 sequential #

ie A Series III Minx which had a 1494cc engine. Iron Head with non-Alpine
camshaft and Manifold Porting sequence.

Compression. If they are equal that's encouraging. Many Export Market
engines were given Low compression options.
That 8 group may well be one.

Peter