Re: Aluminum Sump QuestionsIMPORTANT

To: CANISDOG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aluminum Sump QuestionsIMPORTANT
From: "" <davidkellogg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:45:44
Hello Paul,

  If you're running the pump which came with the GT block, you should be OK.
  If you checked and/or rebuilt the oil pump, checked the usual clearances
on the drive gear and so forth, you ought to be in good trim.  At
Competition Motors we would run an engine in with natural oil, switching to
synthetics only after break-in time and two changes of oil (the original and
one change after, say 50-100 miles or a dyno session of a couple toseveral
hours).  I would make sure that you have an oil pressure hook up if you do
any dyno time, and take the usual precautions of gradual throttle
increments.  But you know that stuff.

  Hope this was of help.  If your pump matches the sump (oval pick-up rather
than the usual series Alpine cylindrical pick-up shape, I suspect you're in
good trim.  Just eagle-eye that oil gauge for the first few minutes, and
then check it periodically.

  I just wrote to you because it looked as though you'd done a really
beautiful and thorough-going restoration of your engine, and I wanted to
make sure that you had the pump which matches the pan with its greater oil
capacity.

  If you think of it let the list --or me-- know how it works, please?

  with Very Best Wishes,

  David