Re: Pertronix Update- Long

To: "Ed Esslinger" <eee1@snowhill.com>, Alpine List
Subject: Re: Pertronix Update- Long
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:46:05 +0000
Ed,

         I had the same experience with the Pertronix unit which they
kindly specially designed for my Sunbeam Talbots. Out of the box, I had to
retard the timing about 15 degrees (CCW) on the distributor (read, 30
degrees on the crankshaft) to get the engine to run and then timed
properly. Although the car ran well, I was not happy with this setting as
the phasing between the rotor and the distributor cap contacts was now off
this 15 degrees.

         I had a few phone calls and faxes to Pertronix and in the end sent
them the distributor again with both a set of points on a breaker plate and
their Ignitor unit on another and asked them to adjust the position of the
sensing module so it would fire with the rotor pointing at the same
position as when the points were mounted. This they have done and I'm
waiting for the units to arrive in the mail any day. Hopefully I will now
be able to rotate the distributor back to the original position as when the
points were installed.

         I think anyone who has their distributor mounted in the correct
factory installed position, should not have to turn the distributor any
more than +/- 2 degrees after installing the Pertronix system (or any
electronic system for that matter) to obtain the correct timing. If you do,
then there is a phasing problem. FWIW.

Later,
Bob

At 04:00 PM 2/24/01 +0000, you wrote:
>  A while back, I made inquires to the list regarding differences in the
>Pertronix Ignitors.
>Five or six years ago I installed a LU142 unit in my Series 4. It worked
>great; I did not even have to adjust the timing, as it was spot on right out
>of the box. A few weeks ago it just quit working.
>   I had on hand a new LU142A that has a new improved mounting plate.
>   Without rotating the distributor, I installed the new unit. The engine
>would not start. I had to rotate the distributor all the way CCW, before I
>could get the engine to start.
>   I checked the timing and found that it was still about 10deg. too far
>advanced, even with the vacuum vernier adjusted all the way to retard.
>  I contacted Pertronix and told them of the problem. They asked me to send
>in my old LU142.
>    Yesterday I received a new unit mounted on my OLD MOUNTING PLATE at no
>charge.
>   Not one word, did they have to say about the differences between the early
>and late units.
>   I phoned them and got the customer service rep, whom I had spoken to
>previously.
>I asked why is there such a difference in the timing between the two units?
>I kind of got the run-around. He said they were keeping records of
>complaints, and did not know what the problem could be. He suggested I
>return the LU142A to the dealer for a refund.
>   Not wanting to void my warranty by modifying the new mounting plate, I
>mounted the LU142A; on an old moving contact breaker plate; about a quarter
>inch CCW from where it would normally mount. I had to cut off the pivot post
>to do it.
>   I installed the modified breaker plate and the LU142A in the distributor.
>The engine fired up on the first try. Now there is no problem in setting
>timing.
>    I am tempted to run it this way, but if I have to go back to points in an
>emergency, I would also have to change the breaker plate.
>  I dont see why Pertronix cant compare the two units and move the module
>so they both trigger at the same place. I guess its time and money for them.
>
>Cool Cat Eddie ,1 S3 GT,3 S4's, 2 S5's, 2 MK1 Tigers
>Deep South Rep TE/AE

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The Man of Many Sunbeams - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon 1953-1954
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton
BATANS Home Page: www.batans.ca
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca