Re: Electrical ?

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical ?
From: "jon" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:19:32 -0600
I don't have any problem with Lucas electrics, either. None of my cars has
ever let me down electrically.

I erred by not including the side lights in my previous post. I realize the
panel lights work with either.  My only question about the panel lamp
circuit is as regards it's correct operation -  WHY on earth would you want
to turn OFF the panel lamps if it's dark enough to warrant having either the
side or head lamps on?  A single pole/double throw switch and a  resistor in
the circuit to give a dimming effect might be nice, but I'd hardly consider
the light from the instruments glaring, nor an major power drain.

That's why I elimated a switched circuit  I never used, and instead used the
switch to trigger a relay to power my fog lamps.

Triggered to earth, I might add, in reference to Tom's post about the Lucas
wiper motor in his Ferrari. By wiring the hot lead straight to either the
device or it's relay, and using a switched earth to energise the circuit,
you elimate the potential for damage to the wiring in the event of a short
to the switch.  Highly desirable in a circuit that carries a lot of current,
such as a wiper motor circuit.

Jon Arzt
Omaha,  NE  USA