Re: Electrical ?

To: "Tom Yang" <TYang@compuserve.com>, "John Slade" <edalsj@igs.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical ?
From: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:16:55 -0500
Maybe some of us are just unlucky.  The only new British car I ever had was
a Series II.  I would not rate the quality of the electrical components very
high.  I put only 46,000 miles on the car.  Some the items that were
replaced/rebuilt included 2 overdrive relays, finally stuck a relay for a
Rambler on it, that lasted.  Generator brushes lasted only 30,000 miles, a
starter that did not work 10% of the time without whacking it with the
starting handle ( much more fun than using it to crank the car) and most of
the light bulbs (don't know who made them, but they sure didn't last), and
the distributor rotor cracked and shorted out the high tension spark.  Those
are the items that I recall after 35 years.  I am sure there were more.

I don't know anything about electrical circuitry, but one time the car died
in the middle of no place.  Just spang shut off.  Found out the battery
cable came off.  Stuck it back on, it started up and ran fine.  To me, that
is weird, as I have started cars with dead batteries by putting a good
battery in, started the car, taken the battery out and put the old battery
back in without the car dying.  I don't recommend this, but it will work if
there are no jumper cables available.