Re: Talbot/Alpine Tires

To: RussE@Firstva.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Talbot/Alpine Tires
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:04:56 -0600
    My personal experience with radial tires on vintage cars isn't great. 20
years ago when I first bought my '67 Alpine, I put a set of Michelins on it,
replacing a mismatched set of bias-plies. Steering effort at low speeds was
MUCH higher, the handling was great, but it started breaking spokes. Radials
have MUCH more lateral grip, and they were overstressing the wire wheels.

    I've been told the same stress is transferred to the king pins on early
suspensions, so I was hesitant to try it again, however, in a pinch, I put a
set of radials on my 1961 Humber Super Snipe. I also have a 1966 Snipe, and
I put Coker vintage bias-ply whitewalls on it, so I have a comparison. The
radials admittedly respond better, but are much harder on the steering and
suspension systems.

    Another thing to consider is the rim. Most old rims don't have the
raised lip to retain the bead of a tubeless radial tire. That makes tubes a
necessity.

    Personally, I prefer the ride and the look of the bias-ply tires. I'll
be ordering a set of 5.60x15 wide whites for the Minx convertible as soon as
it's ready for the road.

Just my 2p worth!

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA